Thursday, July 22, 2010

Understanding Fear: The Root and the Resolution

A friend and I recently had a conversation about overcoming fear. He wanted to do something new, but was afraid to take the essential first steps. As I tried to encourage him by speaking power into his dream, he said, "Thanks, sis. That sounds good, but I gotta make myself believe it." And then a light bulb went on...

Often when we talk about fear, we try to address the fear, to make sure that we identify what is at the root of what is holding us back. But, thanks to my friend, I know that fear, like faith, is rooted in belief...let me repeat that: FEAR, LIKE FAITH, IS ROOTED IN BELIEF. What that means simply is that we deal with fear like it is its own entity. We ask questions (valid ones, no doubt) about the who, the why, the how, the where and the what about fear. However, what we might overlook is that fear (as it relates to progress) is you believing that something isn't possible.

You want to be successful, but you are afraid to do the necessary things to make this a reality. Why? Because you believe that you don't deserve to be successful...WHAT? (I hear you yelling!!). It might seem crazy, but it is true. You have to recognize that if you believed that you deserved to be successful, your fears would be minimized if not resolved. Your belief puts you ahead of the pack because it allows you to see you as your full self.

I am not trying to tell you that being fearful is the only obstacle to achieving your dreams. I am not suggesting that fear and faith are one and the same. What I want you to take away from this is that fear is just you believing that something isn't possible for you. If you can retrain your mind to know that you deserve the best of all things, your fear can be redirected as faith. With hard work and planning, many of the things that you have identified for yourself can become a reality.

To all of you who are standing on the cusp of your dreams, please take that essential first step by believing that what you have designed can manifest itself into diligent action. And to my friend, who inspired this: when you believe, you will be unstoppable. I wish you this.

2 comments:

  1. Hello sis. Thank you for writing this. This has helped me greatly. Not only am I taking that first step, I'm working through the fear at the same time. I know that I'm not the only person that deals with this, but sometimes we want to be the only person (as if it's a badge of honor in some backward way of thinking). I'm finding also that staying out of my own head is helping too. Majority of the time, we are our own worst enemy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks bro. I was motivated after our conversation and I'm glad that you got something out of it. I can't wait to read more about your latest venture on your new blog...

    ReplyDelete

I welcome thoughtful and thought provoking comments. This space is designed for enrichment.

House Rules: Please don't act like a donkey in my comment box. If you want to argue, take it to the family picnic; I don't want folks to feel threatened while trying to express their opinions. That is all.