Monday, July 5, 2010

From the Soul: What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger

Let me begin with full disclosure...the saying, "what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" drives me insane!!! I think that, in theory, it sounds good to tell someone that strength is gained from overcoming your trials. However, I think that it is far too great a stretch of an either/or scenario: either you get stronger OR you die. What about the middle ground? Plenty of things don't make you stronger or kill you, they hurt you or stop you or anger you or cripple you or celebrate you or stifle you or...you get the picture. I believe that it is unfortunate and unfair to suggest that either you're strengthened or you're dead. I don't like the idea that each situation offers only two options; I don't like the notion that emotional strength is only gained from a death defying experience. I believe that many situations offer opportunities for enrichment, good or bad. Instead of operating under the "what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" mentality, perhaps it is better to say that "from our most hurtful experiences, come some of our deepest lessons."

Just a thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome thoughtful and thought provoking comments. This space is designed for enrichment.

House Rules: Please don't act like a donkey in my comment box. If you want to argue, take it to the family picnic; I don't want folks to feel threatened while trying to express their opinions. That is all.