Friday, July 9, 2010

Soul Satisfying Music: "The Light" by Common

As a poet, I've always lurved Common's music. His earnest delivery coupled with heartfelt lyrics have always been my thing. I never had a crush on him, but I can definitely appreciate his eye candy appeal. He seems to be a man of measure: a grass roots political activist, a loving father, a rapper extraordinaire, basically, (to use the vernacular) a good dude. Whenever I needed motivation or inspiration, I could pop in one of his CDs and write for days and days and ...

In this particular video, he professes his love for his "light." His leading lady in the video was his then lover, the neo-soul diva (another fave) Erykah Badu. Although their real life affair ended, this video showcases the intensity of a love that burned for them and maybe for many of us. Another reason I love this video is because there is a strong black man loving a strong black woman without apology. A do-right man and his do-right woman. I also vibe on the fact that he professes his love right from the beginning: "I never knew a love love a love like this..." I know many people don't like hip-hop, but that's because they listen to the testosterone heavy, radio friendly, pseudo hip hop that is packaged for the masses. Common defies traditional expectations of rap music and pours his heart on wax every. single. time.

Watch the video and listen to a Man talk about his Woman and how he feels she should be treated. Have you defined how your partner should treat you? If not, listen and learn. If so, I'm giving you a cyber fist dap!! Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome thoughtful and thought provoking comments. This space is designed for enrichment.

House Rules: Please don't act like a donkey in my comment box. If you want to argue, take it to the family picnic; I don't want folks to feel threatened while trying to express their opinions. That is all.