Wednesday, August 4, 2010

That's What Friends Are For...

Friendships are an often studied and discussed topic. They are the subject of movies, books, poems, plays, and songs. In fact, one of my favorite rap songs addressing the issue of friends is by the legendary group Whodini. In their hip hop classic, "Friends", they address their opinions about friends:

Friends...
How many of us have them?
Friends...
Ones we can depend on?
Friends...
How many of us have them?
Friends...
Before we go any further, lets be...

Friends is a word we use everyday;
Most the time we use it in the wrong way.
Now you can look the word up, again and again,
But the dictionary doesn't know the meaning of friends


Although the dictionary strives to give a usable definition for the word friend, it can't properly define what a good friend is. As Whodini goes on to say, "a friend is somebody you judge for yourself." Each friendship has its own requirements to be satisfying and each person may require different things from different friends.

Do you have a crew of folks that you can count on when the going gets tough or do you have just one true blue dyed in the wool friend? Do you still hang with the folks you grew up with or is your current inner circle made up of people from college or your career? In many ways, it doesn't even matter when or how you met your friends. It is more important that you have relationships that sustain you. However, you must realize that friendship is a two way street. Reciprocity should be the main objective when working towards a relationship that strives to be mutually satisfying. With that in mind, ask yourself if you are a good friend. Are you tending to your friendships with care and concern? Do you treat your friends with the same consideration that you want to be shown?

How do you learn to be a good friend? I have found that the most important things for maintaining good friendships are to avoid toxic people and to avoid being a toxic person. All relationship come with a level of complexity, but complexity doesn't equal conflict. One of the things that we do sometimes is to surround ourselves only with people who are just like us. What fun is that? While there is definitely comfort in dealing with the familiar, it is a wonderful thing to be able to learn and grow from your friendship.

If you are struggling in your relationships with your friends, perhaps it is time to reevaluate them. There is an often repeated adage that "you don't have to change friends if you realize that friends change." This is true to a certain extent; perhaps your friendships just need to be redefined. I believe that everyone can benefit from at least one solid and supportive friend. Unfortunately, social networking sites have taken the word "friend" to a new level where any random stranger can automatically be added to your inner circle as a "friend."

The challenge is that in order to get a good friend, you must be a good friend. As our lives get busier, it is sometimes hard to maintain the level of contact that you once had with your friends. I know that in my own life, I haven't had a chance to sit down with some of my closest friends in the ways that I want--I am working on that now. However, as we all know, the best friendships are the ones that pick right back up whenever you talk like no time was ever missed. I have been blessed with a wonderfully diverse crew of friends who are like family to me. My life is enriched by the fact that I have friends who serve different roles in my life and allow me to serve many roles in their lives as well. To my friends, in the words of the Golden Girls theme song: "thank you for being a friend." Open your heart to the possibilities that a strong friendship can offer and enjoy the richness that fully fleshed out friendships can bring.

"That's What Friends Are For" by Dionne Warwick and Friends

6 comments:

  1. My experience has been that people change & with lack of communication & the lack of time spent friends grow apart. Change is threatening & difficult for some & some react negatively. We can't assume our friends will never change or expect them to remain the same person they were in high school. I've learned in relationships to accept people for who they are & don't try to confine them to who you think they are or should be. Finally, ending friendships that are unhealthy is never easy; but sometimes necessary. If the friendship brings drama or causes pain or hurt feelings that you can't openly express or resolve; then distance yourself. Never limit yourself to just one group of friends, network with people from various backgrounds. When you focus on just having "only" one set of friends you limit yourself & also run the risk of feeling obligated to stay friends with people you outgrow or no longer have anything in common just to say you have friends. There are millions of people in the world-go out & meet them! When one friendship changes or ends it may hurt but knowing you have other friends & understanding that relationships change helps you understand that it's normal part of life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a question that has been bothering me for a while. My friend and I have known each other since 6th grade I tell her everything she tells me everything and I consider her advice. For some reason she thinks she knows what's nbest for me but she doesn't one day while drinking she started to tell my business to my other friends and arguing her point while talking our first discussion was about her and I was just listening then all of a sudden the topic switched by her and the topic was about my life, I was very upset and decided not to hang out with her anymore she is my best friens and I want to regain our friendship, but at the same time she never came back to me and apologise for what she did. I miss my friend and she is like a sister to me but at the same time I don't know if she is jealous and did it on purpose she has done this more than one time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Anonymous: I think that you have to decide whether or not this person deserves a spot in your life. If you feel like she is constantly betraying your trust by revealing your business to others, then you have to reevaluate your friendship.

    If you decide that the friendship is worth saving, I would suggest having a heart to heart talk with her and tell her how you feel. Her response to your feelings will dictate how you should move forward. I don't believe that just because you've known someone a long time that they should be in your life. How they treat you and how you feel in their company is the only factor that should matter.

    I wish you well because as the previous poster stated, it's hard to move on when a friendship is lost. Good luck--but protect your own well being FIRST!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coming from a smallish family to begin with, and having lost a lot of family members, my good *friends* are my family. I haven't found that blood is thicker than water, truly. So many who are unrelated to me have helped me survive, heal, and thrive, and for them, I am forever grateful. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!! This was so on point, and a reminder on how BLESSED I am. My best friend is not here in the local area and sometimes I do the pity thing, because not only is she not here, but none of my other longtime friends are either, but then I realize that I am blessed to have them. No matter that they are in other states, and or countries. They have proven themselves to me, and vice versa. I also realize that while I was away from my family for 12 years these friends became my family, and still support me as their family. So hey I am so, so GOOD. LOL! And I always have a place to stay with free room and board! I also realize that my being away made me appreciate the friends I had growing up that actually GREW UP. I learned upon my arrival back, on how you and others change, and after a while, it's okay to just say hi, and keep it moving. Thank you for this topic!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome thoughtful and thought provoking comments. This space is designed for enrichment.

House Rules: Please don't act like a donkey in my comment box. If you want to argue, take it to the family picnic; I don't want folks to feel threatened while trying to express their opinions. That is all.