Monday, August 2, 2010

Purposeful Expression

As we get to be a more technologically savvy society, we forget how to connect to/with people. I remember someone telling me that can they spend hours talking to their friends via Facebook or that they would often text their friends when they were in the same room. However, when the gadgets were removed, they would have nothing to talk about. How sad is that? You can communicate through an online or electronic persona, but you can’t establish a connection face to face. That’s a poor reflection on us as a people.

Sadly, folks have begun to misuse online and electronic communication. Affairs are planned via Facebook; naked pictures are sent via text messages. We say and do things electronically that we would NEVER do in real life. We actually start to believe our own contrived hype (cue Public Enemy). We hide behind deceptive personas and express ourselves in ways that are not authentic. That is a bad move!! You need to be mindful of the ways that you exchange information and present your ideas to the larger world because whether you want to believe it or not, much of what we say or do is being observed.

I remember my grandmother telling me that “the walls have eyes and ears.” As a child, I always felt that I had to be on my best behavior or risk being ratted out by my surroundings. I never wanted anyone to see me disrespecting myself or others. In addition to my grandmother's words, an oft repeated piece of old school advice is “what you do in the dark, will come to the light.” In this age of YouTube videos and cell phone cameras, at anytime you could be filmed in a compromising situation.

Therefore, in order to build a more purposeful existence, you must be diligent about what you say and what you do. You must endeavor to have your character (who you are on the inside) and your reputation (who folks know you to be on the outside) be in sync. The internal you and the external you must be one and the same. Are you defining yourself with purpose? Are you defining yourself through purposeful expression?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome thoughtful and thought provoking comments. This space is designed for enrichment.

House Rules: Please don't act like a donkey in my comment box. If you want to argue, take it to the family picnic; I don't want folks to feel threatened while trying to express their opinions. That is all.