Sunday, August 22, 2010

It Is Truly the Little Things That Sustain Us

As I type this, it's raining outside and my family is lounging around the house in various stages of activity. I hear little people laughter, girly giggles, teen age guffaws and grown man chuckles...it's the little things...I am comforted by the sounds of my family's movement. Pages of a book are being turned and I smile knowing that my 10 year old is reading to the 3 year old. The joy of reading is being passed from one child to the next. Even when the older child admonishes the younger one about trying to tear the pages of that same book...I smile. A household hierarchy is in full effect.

This morning we relaxed in bed before coming downstairs to make breakfast together that we all shared and enjoyed...it's the little things...Although milk got spilled on the table, we were together. What a blessing!

As I type this, I have mountains of work to do to prepare for the next semester, but I can look around me and see my family: living, breathing, doing, smiling, laughing, shouting, dancing, rejoicing...it's truly the little things.

Just this morning I was sending freshly made tomato sauce to my neighbors. Sauce that I made with my children from tomatoes that were picked from my neighbors' garden...it's the little things. A small gesture of community that feeds us (literally and figuratively).

When was the last time that you stopped to enjoy the little things? Minor happenings that might otherwise be overlooked. The little things that make our hearts smile and our spirits soar. Your baby's eyelashes on your cheek, your little boy riding his bike without training wheels. Your little girl doing her first somersault. Your husband playing with the children. Your grandmother telling stories of her childhood. An unexpected card in the mail. Fresh flowers on the table. A kind word. A warm smile...the little things. For it truly is the little things that sustain us and help us grow.

Peace.


India Arie "Little Things"

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome thoughtful and thought provoking comments. This space is designed for enrichment.

House Rules: Please don't act like a donkey in my comment box. If you want to argue, take it to the family picnic; I don't want folks to feel threatened while trying to express their opinions. That is all.