Thursday, December 16, 2010

We Fall Down, But...Um...Get Yo'self Up

Some of us get dealt a rough hand in life. No silver spoons, no doting parents, no easy way to go...plain and simple: it's a hard knock life (in my Annie voice). Some people go through more sadness than a Lifetime movie marathon, but...they survive. And not only do they survive, some even thrive!! *Insert hand claps and fist pumps.*

Have you ever looked at someone you know has had a rocky road and wonder how he or she made it through the storm? Maybe you are that person. Maybe your friends look at your resiliency and admire your ability to bounce back from whatever is thrown your way. Considering this, have you ever questioned why some of us are able to land on our feet no matter how many curve balls life throws? I have. I often wonder what separates the people who are able to overcome life's obstacles from those who collapse at the first sign of conflict. You know them, the people who can't sustain and have limited coping skills? I'm not knocking anyone for having down moments or feeling sorry for yourself...I'm talking about the people who stay down. They're not my kind.

I come from a crew of thrivers. Folks who have been baptized by fire. Folks who hit the ground running whenever, however, wherever. I was raised by people who created the "S" that New Age Superwomen wear on our chests. Women who spoke truth to power and polished the steel in their spines by the light of the moon. I love resilient people. I love people who are able to trump downfalls, shortfalls, pitfalls, heck even Niagara Falls. I love the folks who dust themselves off and make it do what it do, baby (channeling Ray Charles).

The next time you find yourself down in the dumps, broke down and feeling as if you are coming undone, I want you to GET UP!! That's right!! Get up and proclaim that you are going to get over this hurdle and step into your new life. The life that you desire. See you only get one life--this isn't a dress rehearsal. You have to make sure that you harness your power to live out your best life. Inside of you is a thriver, someone who makes lemonade out of misery and magic out of dust. Inside of you is your strength. Be sure to tap into it!!

Erykah Badu "My Life"

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome thoughtful and thought provoking comments. This space is designed for enrichment.

House Rules: Please don't act like a donkey in my comment box. If you want to argue, take it to the family picnic; I don't want folks to feel threatened while trying to express their opinions. That is all.