Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Sister...You Have Been On My Mind...

Admit it... how many of you got nostalgic when you saw that title? Your thoughts immediately went to Shug Avery singing to Celie in The Color Purple? You started humming the famous opening notes and started thinking about the beauty of the song that celebrated sisterhood?

I get it. That's my go to song when I think about Black womanhood and its intersection with Black women's sisterhood. Truthfully, it is solid  enough to stand as the anthem for all women and their thoughts about sisterhood. Seriously. How many times have you had a woman you consider a sister on your mind? Maybe you knew she was going through something and her energy permeated your spirit? Or maybe you didn't know, but something came over you; you had to stop everything you were doing and reach out to her... *hums*... sister, you've been on my mind...

Sometimes, life can be rough. Real rough. You go through so many different things that stretch you beyond your own understanding of yourself. You feel like giving up and just as you want to give in, your sister (sista, sistuh, sistafriend, sistacuzzinkinfolk...) throws you a lifeline and BAM! just like that, you are ready to take another breath, another step. To make a proverbial way out of no way. *hums*...sister, you've been on my mind...

Today, I'm encouraging you to find another sister. To hold on to her and let her know that you have her back. Let her know that she has value. That her worth can be found in her self. And let her know that she is something special, too. Because you are not just your sister's keeper, you are your sister.

Peace be the journey on the way to greater understanding between sisters. In this continued development of this space, I want to challenge women to live the lives that are meant for us. To live a more amplified existence that celebrates our individuality while promoting our connections. Long live the sisterhood. Long live us.


Miss Celie's Blues
Courtesy of YouTube
No copyright infringement intended... just a fan

Be sure to sign up for email updates on my website: www.soulstainableliving.com



1 comment:

  1. .....this I LOVE.
    Everything expressed is very true!
    I am reaching out to encourage some of my sisters right now!
    Thanks for the reminder Sistacuzzinkinfolk ♡
    ~Sunni

    ReplyDelete

I welcome thoughtful and thought provoking comments. This space is designed for enrichment.

House Rules: Please don't act like a donkey in my comment box. If you want to argue, take it to the family picnic; I don't want folks to feel threatened while trying to express their opinions. That is all.